Whether you like winter or desire the warmer months in Plainfield, most of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it should be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can arrange temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at PWA Heating & Cooling Inc can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give PWA Heating & Cooling Inc in Plainfield a call to begin. You can reach us at 815-410-1231 or schedule an appointment with us online.