Spring is in the air here in Plainfield and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The PWA Heating & Cooling Inc team has some recommendations that will help keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home look as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to coincide with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your amazing trip on social media, but try to put it off until after you make it home to post photos of your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as excited about the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to conserve energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give PWA Heating & Cooling Inc in Plainfield a call at 815-410-1231.