Prior to your annual furnace service appointment, take time to look around your home for areas that may be letting your warm air escape. Leaky doors and windows and other areas sap your furnace’s efficiency. You could be letting money fly out the door, literally! Simply identifying leaks could make a huge difference in your energy savings.
Repairing many cracks and leaks can be a relatively quick DIY project that could help you save money for years to come. After leaks are sealed, you’ll also get the most benefit from your annual furnace service. Can you think of anything better than enhancing energy efficiency and saving money, all while making your home more comfortable?
So where should you check for those irritating leaks?
A lot of air can slip out through your attic. Here are some specific areas to investigate:
- Stud cavities could be open or uninsulated, permitting air to easily leak out. You’ll wind up with a chillier home and a higher utility bill.
- Remember your attic access doors when you replace or install weatherstripping in your home. It’s not uncommon for people to overlook them and they can let a substantial amount of heat escape.
Any openings into your house.
A lot of heat is lost through windows and doors.
- Check your weatherstripping. If it’s cracked or torn, it’s time to replace it.
- Inspect the caulking on all of your windows, checking both inside and outside. Just use a caulking gun to seal any holes you notice.
- Cover any gaps around your chimney and flue (if you have a chimney) to prevent air from escaping.
There are so many ways to ensure you get the most out of your regular furnace service, but following this list will give you a huge advantage. You’ll be more comfortable and your home will be more efficient. At PWA Heating & Cooling Inc, we can to answer your questions about these tips. And, if you’re ready to set up a furnace service appointment, give us a call at 815-410-1231.