According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to reach out to PWA Heating & Cooling Inc in Plainfield about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the professionals at PWA Heating & Cooling Inc. A yearly inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Checking your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clear.
Additional ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and put in new filters when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Plainfield home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at PWA Heating & Cooling Inc at 815-410-1231 or make an appointment online.