Living in comfort in the summer can be taken for granted, particularly until you encounter a taste of discomfort with an air conditioner malfunction. It can occur at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and unexpectedly feel how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so hot enfolded in your covers. Think you’re feeling this discomfort? It might be time for an air conditioner replacement.
More often than not, it isn’t the thermostat’s mistake; the settings can be working correctly, but it still says that the temperature is beyond 80 degrees. It’s most often caused by an outdated or faulty air conditioner that demands a call to the professionals to find out what’s wrong. There are many causes for why air conditioners stop working, especially considering the weather in Plainfield. Here are some things that you can search for before you call PWA Heating & Cooling Inc if you think your air conditioner has quit working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your external air conditioning system that helps move the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you inspect your system and see that the fan isn’t working, it means that the heat relocation isn’t transpiring, causing the warm air to hang around in your home. This failure can also initiate overheating of the compressor and other possible internal harm to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most familiar troubles that PWA Heating & Cooling Inc sees. These unclean filters in your air conditioner decrease appropriate airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season strikes. Unclean air filters can also reduce the efficiency in your home and increase your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always search for an obstacle or obstruction in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can cause your air conditioner to lose efficiency and reduce speed.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t hidden by furniture or other home items, too.
- Outside obstructions: Proper air flow could be also hindered from outdoor barriers around your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is deterred, it can change it’s cooling capacities. Make sure that your system is free from obstacles and is cleaned routinely to decrease the chance of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve gone through these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t running, here are a list of questions and additional checks that you should inspect and answer to get your system up and running again. (Only go to the next question if the system doesn’t turn on after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature fixed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL position?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box whole or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things change your system function, call PWA Heating & Cooling Inc at 815-410-1231.
Don’t let an air conditioner malfunction or replacement keep you awake at night. If you follow these steps and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner running again in no time. Our team at PWA Heating & Cooling Inc in Plainfield is always here to be of service – give us a call at 815-410-1231.